Saturday, December 26, 2009

Home Alone

We spent the holidays, as we do most days, home alone with our 2 dogs.  I was quite content until Steve started reflecting on holidays past that were shared with family and friends.  It saddened me that his focus was on what was...rather than what is.

Sure I would love to have a close family and lots of friends, but I accept the way things are.  Over the years, since Steve became ill, it has been hard to maintain our friendships.  It makes it difficult when friends invite you to do things and you are constantly turning them down.  Although they understand Steve is sick, after a while, they stop asking.

So I can see why Steve took comfort in his memories.  But I chose to focus on what we have now...each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having someone is the biggest thing and best medicine of all. I'm sure he hates having to put you through this and it makes him angry at times. Try to remember it's anger and frustration with himself and not you. Fellow Hepper