Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Punch in the Stomach

We never received the complete results of Steve's week 8 blood test.  Apparently, the RNA level was never taken.  So when the doctor ordered the week 12 blood test, he included another request for the RNA level.  By this time, we were both anxious to see the results.  So once they were in, rather than play telephone tag with the gastro's office staff, we decided to drive over and pick up the results.

What we received was news that we weren't expecting.  So I asked my husband to jot down a few words for the blog describing how he felt about the results.  I literally thought he would just write a few words.  He wrote almost 2 pages.  So rather than hear it from me, these are Steve's own words.

A Punch in the Stomach-Round 2 of Triple Therapy

On February 15th, we got the results of my week 12 blood test.  It was a full test with the RNA level.  I was very anxious to get the results because for the past few weeks now I have been feeling worse.  I've been getting short of breath again and feeling so tired that I can hardly stand sometimes.  The nausea is also getting a lot worse, and it's very hard to concentrate.

This is actually my second time getting the week 12 test results.  The 1st time was October 13, 2009 during my first round of triple therapy.  I was pretty sick then too.  So I was also anxious to get those results.  As it turned out, the good news was...I cleared the virus.  My viral load was normal with a big 0My AST & ALT were also normal.  Talk about a happy day!!

The bad news was that I was extremely anemic, and since I was having chest pains and shortness of breath, my doctor took me off the treatment.  Then he ordered me start taking procrit and see a cardiologist for a stress test and echo of my heart.  No more treatment until he got the results.  By the time I had the tests, 4 to 5 weeks had gone by.   The results were good though and the doctor gave me the ok to go back on tx. 

The only thing was I had to start over from week one again.  This time the first ten weeks weren't so bad.  Then I started get the same symptoms back:  shortness of breath, chest pains, itching.  So that's why I was anxiously waiting for the 2nd round of week 12 results.  I thought I might be anemic again.  I wasn't concerned about my RNA level.  I was just assuming I was still clear. 

So when we picked up the results, I didn't open the envelope until we got into the car.  I looked at my platelets which were very low (81), and my AST was a little high, but the real kicker was my viral load was 280.  280...I know that's not high.  But it's back.  It's back!  It was like getting punched in the stomach.  I tried to hide it but it really bothered me.  I kept thinking to myself ..."What's happening?!"  I feel worse for my wife.  The next day when my wife went to work it really hit me.  It really hurt.

1 comment:

lobba123 said...

the problem is that interferon and ribavirin sides are so bad you must be continuatively monitored at least once a month with results coming out very fast so that you can adjust interferon or ribavirin without stopping therapy
why?because hcv muatates and can develop resistance to interferon so that you lose full effect of drugs

you are lucky you are using alinia which has no sides and no resistance and improve interferon signaling and results

i wish you can keep therapy and get to hcvrna zero again after this do keep the 48weeks therapy and monitor closely to avoid ribavirin sides (anemic again....)