Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Transmission of Hepatitis C

Many people are ill-informed when it comes to the transmission of Hepatitis C. You will not get it from mere exposure to a person who has the Hep C Virus (even if the person sneezes or coughs on you). It is typically transmitted through contact with blood.

My husband contracted the disease several years before I met him. We were together 8 years before he was diagnosed, and I don’t have Hep (neither does his ex-wife).

However, that doesn’t mean that we don’t take precautions. My doctor has advised us:
  • NEVER use each other’s razor, toothbrush or nail clipper
  • Don’t do anything sexually that is likely to result in bleeding (For lack of a better metaphor, using the back door instead of the front).
  • Don’t use each other’s comb or hair brush
 In addition, I get tested on an annual basis.

Since my husband’s blood test showed that he could be a carrier for Hep B, I received a series of shots to inoculate me against Hep B as well.

If you’d like more info on the transmission of Hep C, here are some helpful links.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really have enjoyed reading your blog postings; and I hope that your husband is doing great now and undetectable. I had Hep C and am undetectable by the grace of God!:) You are a very loving and caring wife/he's blessed to have you. :)
Also; please don't be offended but all of your Hep C transmission risk info. is excellent but please take down "hair combs/brushes" as possible transmission sources, that is not true, your Dr. was mistaken. The only way that they might even pose the slightest risk is if they are used as devices to hit/pierce the skin with during rough sexual play, (that is if people are into that, lol)..............

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be so annoying but here is a link to a great list of possible risk factors, one of many legit. lists available.

Take-Care and God-Bless! :)

http://www.beincharge.com/pdf/PGM0263_am-i-contagious.pdf