Saturday, October 3, 2009

Week 12, and I'm An Emotional Wreck

At the end of the week, my husband goes for the blood test that will determine if he continues treatment.  He really needs the treatment, because his last liver biopsy revealed that the liver disease has progressed to stage 3/grade 3 (the next stage is cirrhosis).

So this week I am the emotional wreck.  I've been feeling like I could cry at the drop of a hat and I have.  Watching him go through this and wondering if he is going to be able to tolerate another 36 weeks is really getting to me.  (That is if this blood test shows that the Hepatitis C viral load is undetectable.  Otherwise, it's a mute point.  The treatment will be discontinued.)

He has been pretty miserable.  Constantly freezing, to the point that his nose starts to run, even though it's 78 degrees in the house.  He's developed Pruritus, aka the Ribavirin Rash, on his legs and his entire body itches~ especially at night.  So he is having a hard time sleeping.  On top of that, everything he eats is making him sick.  (Oddly enough, the only protein he seems to be able to tolerate is ground beef.  But he can't eat that everyday!)  And he is still getting very short of breath and dizzy.  Yesterday he walked the dogs in the morning (I was at work), and on the way back it hit him.  Luckily, he didn't try to make it the rest of the way.  He went to a staircase in front of a buiding and sat there until it passed.  When I got home last night, he told me that he feels like the treatment is sucking the life out of him.

I can't help but wonder if he is right.  I feel like he could really be endangering himself, but he doesn't want me to call the doctor.  He wants to wait until his appointment, October 13th, so he can get the results of this blood test.  I'm so afraid that something is going to happen to him, but I have to respect his wishes.  If I call the doctor, and he is taken off the treatment, he will always wonder if he would have been cured.  And more importantly, this is literally a decision that will affect the rest of his life, and that is not my decision to make.

3 comments:

HCV New Drugs said...

(Sorry had to delete first post)

Just checking in on the both of you.

Please , please report any NEW or debilitating side effects to your doctor. Don't wait for scheduled appointments. Unless we are talking about a day or so.

If you have not gotten a prescription for his Pruritus you may wish to ask for one. There are some wonderful creams "Zyrtec" worked for me.

Most everyone on treatment will develop either depression or anxiety. Many of us are prescribed SSRIs to get us through treatment.

It can help with sleeping etc. I think not being able to sleep is pretty much a major complaint with anyone on treatment. It was for me while I treated.

Points to remember : Thyroid, and Anemia, are also two common side effects of treatment. It can cause fatigue and shortness of breath.

Hang in there and report those side effects.

Wishing you the best of luck on your blood work.

Keeping you in my thoughts

GOOD LUCK

Always Tina

sheba said...

I'm in this website for the 1st time and looked at your "week 12" comments. I hope your husband had positive blood test results to encourage him to continue, even he though feels so very sick. My husband had Hep C as well as his brother and best friend. The latter 2 were misirably sick during treatment, couldn't work, same things you are describing. Sick as they were his brother and friend stuck with it for + or - 1 year and both came through cured! They continue blood checks but it has been 3 and 4 years since treatment and they are still clear. So, I know you are both frightened, but please try to stick with it...I wish my husband had. As a support person I have been through many phases and complications of this disease including liver caner ad transplant, and would be happy to share information and support if you think I could help you.

Anonymous said...

I love you both.