Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Never Underestimate the Ignorance of Others

At the office I work in, we sometimes assist people with disabilities. The other day one of the supervisors was telling us the benefits of talking to people on the phone rather than in person. She recalled when she, and some of her fellow co-workers, didn't want to help a customer because he had a "social disease". She continued to say she believed he had hepatitis. She then showed us how she shoved a pen and a piece of paper at him and made sure she didn't touch him. (Like it's contagious.)


I was so upset. I wanted to say something to her, but I didn't. Because I was afraid of losing my job since I just started. When I got home, I told my husband. He couldn't believe it either. These people are supposed to be professionals. Sometimes I am so disgusted with the ignorance that is out there. I can't even begin to tell you how I felt.

No comments: