Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Bit of Background Info

About 10 years ago, he started getting sick. Nothing serious. At first, it started with chronic sinus infections. Then he started having occasional stomach problems (which was diagnosed as diverticulosis). Soon after, he became consistently tired to the point of exhaustion.

He went to the doctor and was told it was stress. Then the stomach problems became worse. Each time he ate he became ill. So he went back to the doctor again, and again the doctor said it was stress. This time Steve asked the doctor for a referral to an allergist, because we thought he must have food allergies. But when he came back from the allergist, he didn't have any allergies.

At this point, I knew something was very wrong. My husband was at his wits end. He was exhausted, totally stressed out, and beginning to think he was crazy. So I told him to make an appointment with the doctor, and this time I went with him.

I am not a doctor, but it doesn't take a Phd. to figure out that there must be something wrong with his immune system. I asked the doctor to test him for Lupus. He didn't have Lupus. So we went back the next week, and I asked the doctor to test him for hepatitis. I knew that he had high liver enzymes. But the doctor insisted that the liver enzymes were elevated because Steve had high triglycerides. The doctor did not want to give him the test. After much back and forth, he finally decided to give him the test. The next week my husband got the call...

No comments: