Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Lesson Learned

Steve doesn't work. I don't see how he could do this therapy if he did.

It's not because he doesn't want to work but because he can't. He doesn't have the stamina, patience or ability to concentrate like he used to. What the disease doesn't do to your body, it saves for your mind.

Unfortunately, when he got sick we didn't understand how social security disability works. I had a good job, made good money and had great insurance. So we didn't apply. Why take money if you don't need it...right? WRONG. Because when you do need it, it won't be there.

In 2008, he applied for disability for the first time. He's been turned down twice -- mainly because he doesn't have enough work credits in the past ten years. So we had to get a lawyer. Quite frankly, the lawyer told us that he probably won't get it, because he waited so long.

So don't make the same mistake we did. Apply right away. It doens't matter what your situation is today, you never know what tomorrow will bring!

2 comments:

New Drugs said...

Hello,

My name is Tina and I keep Janis and Friends Site/blog/twitter updated.
Blog : http://hepatitiscnewdrugs.blogspot.com/
Twitter http://twitter.com/RunningOnFull

Site http://www.janis7hepc.com/

I would like to link your blog to all of the above. Please let me know if that would be okay.

When newly diagnosed finding a blog like yours is so benifical. I remember looking everywhere for personal stories/I was so frightened back then.

I have been SVR since 2000.

Remember treatment most often becomes more difficult before its over. Keep your eye on the end result SVR !!!

Keep you both in my thoughts.

Stay strong

Always
Tina

PS I hope you have found our message boards. The people there are so kind and caring.

http://www.janis7hepc.com/our_chat_room_and_message_boards.htm

Lisa said...

Hi Tina,

Thank you so much for your support.

Feel free to link the blog. We can all benefit from each other's experiences. That's what it's all about.

Congratulations on your success! Hearing from someone that has maintained SVR really brings the reality home.

All the best,

Lisa