Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Call for Help

Last night Steve collapsed and hit his head (the temple) on a wood table. When we got to the emergency room, his blood pressure was 158/92. The doctor did a thorough exam and ordered a CAT scan to make sure there was no trauma to his brain. There wasn't.

The doctor wasn't sure why he collapsed. Possibly the medication. Possibly his blood pressure (which is not normally). But I believe that there is a third possibility. Once again, he ignored what his body was telling him and did too much.

I realize that having hepatitis c, and feeling sick all of the time, Steve harbors a lot of guilt about the things he can't do. So he pushes himself, and I believe last night he went beyond his limits.

I have been going to school to get my Bachelor's degree, and last night was my final class. While I was at school, he went to the store and bought me a graduation present. After that, he walked the dogs. The grass was wet, and they got dirty. So he gave each of them a bath. When I got home, he gave me a big hug, told me how proud he was of me and dropped to the floor.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I am so frustrated. I don't know what to do to make him slow down. I understand that his heart is in the right place, but he needs to use his head and think of the big picture. If he keeps going the way he is, he won't be able to continue the treatment- or worse.

If anyone has any advice for me, or for my husband, that could possibly get through to him, I would appreciate your comments. Maybe it will help him to hear from others that have experienced many of the same feelings that he has.

Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

sarahlsh said...

Hi
I'm so sorry you and your husband have to go through this. I just wanted to say my husband did one year's treatment of the old stuff (ribavirin and interferon - not pegylated)which didn't work 3 months after treatment. He forced himself to go to work and try to lead a normal, therefore busy, life whilst on treatment. 18 months later he was allowed to do another year with pegylated and this time, he "gave in" to it much more, taking time off work if he felt too rough and generally taking it a bit slower, listening to his body and, in my view, allowing his body to fight. He's been clear for over 4 years. It's a fine balance between keeping going and giving in to it but my advice is to give your body the chance to deal with the drugs first and foremost.